With maps being constantly updated to reflect new data, some GPS units are not equipped to
handle the large data files on the internal memory. However, there is a way around the issue. Below is a
break down on how to load mapping updates to a blank data card, to be used
in the GPS.
For Mac Users:
1. Create a myGarmin account and register your unit.
will need: your GPS unit, a USB cable, access to the internet, and the latest Garmin communicator
- You may need to restart your browser in 32 bit mode. Note: Your browser will prompt you and do it for you if you are not in 32 bit
2. Download the 'Lifetime Map Updater'. You can do this by
clicking on the 'Update Now' button on the post-registration screen. It
can also be done at a later date by selecting the 'my Maps' tab in your
Garmin account, then clicking on the 'Download' button next to the
device. Once the download is complete, install the Garmin Lifetime Map Updater.
3. Connect your GPS unit to your computer and start the Garmin Lifetime Map Updater software.
- If you have more than one GPS device, you need to make sure all GPS devices are added individually. To do so, click
on 'Preferences' then 'Devices'. After
your unit has been plugged in and recognized by the computer, click on 'Add new device'. Your new
unit should now be added to the list of GPS devices.
4. Make sure you have the Map Update installed on your computer.
back to 'Preferences' in the LifeTime Map Updater software.
'Installation'. Next, choose which device you want to update and then pick the
location of the update (you can choose your Mac, your GPS, or both). For best results, select 'Install to both'. Note: To load the map to
your GPS using an SD card, the update must be saved to the computer.
5. Now that the update settings are set to save to the computer, you can start the download. Click on 'Download Now'. Expect the process to take a while. Note: It is recommended to have high speed internet because the
file will be a few gigabytes in size.
6. Once the update is fully downloaded, you can send it to the SD card
for your GPS by running Garmin 'Map Install'. If you do not have the
'Map Install' Program already, you can install it for free through Garmin BaseCamp.
7. If you have multiple maps on your computer, make sure to select the correct maps from Map Install for your specific GPS unit. However, if you
choose the incorrect maps, you can do it again.
8. To check the maps in your device, go to the Map Settings page on your GPS unit.
Some helpful screenshots: