Share your images and get a
free gpscity.com t-shirt!
| (1 customer reviews). Email:
100% of our reviewers recommend this item. See more Garmin items.
This item is not currently available. Please check back to see if it becomes available.
Accessories may still be available for this item. Click to view accessories.
|We have 1 video for this item. We handcraft videos daily to help you learn more about the functionality of the items we sell. View a list of the GPS City videos. Visit our Youtube channel. Suggest a video via our feedback form.|
Questions and Answers (Q&As)
Here are the top accessories for this item. View the complete accessory list for this item.
Garmin GA25 Suction Cup Mount
Garmin Battery Pack and Charger
Garmin Nuvi 5xx and Zumo 220 66x Lithium-Ion Battery
What's Included In The Box?
|The Garmin Aera 500 ships with the following items included:|
- Garmin Aera 500
- Free Single Database Update
- Yoke Mount with Power Cable
- Garmin Nuvi 5xx and Zumo 220 66x Lithium-Ion Battery (View this item)
- Garmin Nuvi and Zumo Series Portable Friction Mount (View this item)
- Garmin USB PC Interface Cable (View this item)
- Garmin Straight 18 Pin Cigarette Lighter Adapter (View this item)
- Pilot Guide and Manual
||January 5, 2010
||February 17, 2010
Gallery of Customer Images
|Customer submitted images of the Garmin Aera 500 in action. You can also view our entire gallery or add your own gallery item. Special limited time offer - get a free t-shirt with every approved submission with pictures.|
There are currently no gallery items for the Garmin Aera 500.
|View all reviews. Or click here to Add Your Own Review. It's quick and easy. No login required.|
|Most recent customer reviews. (View all 1 reviews for this item.)|
Written by Dave
November 14, 2010
AERA 500 - MIXED BAGReplaced GPSMaps 296 with an Aera500 Overall the functionality is a significant improvement. The interface is dramatic … More
193 viewers found this helpful.
Garmin Aera 550
| || || || || |
Garmin Aera 550
| || || || || |
Garmin's aera series of dual-duty GPS portables offer easy transition from flying to motoring - by combining the best in moving-map display features with intuitive, menu-driven touchscreen control. With aera, fingertip navigation has entered a whole new era: One that streamlines operation. Eliminates knobs and buttons. Simplifies the pilot/motorist interface. And lets you think in terms of door-to-door guidance, not just runway-to-runway.
Check Out the aera 500
There are four aera models in the Garmin lineup, offering a full range of cost/capability choices. The first and most affordable unit in the series is the aera 500. Featuring a crisp 4.3-inch QVGA wide-format touchscreen and pre-loaded graphical mapping, this versatile, feature-rich unit comes ready for takeoff, right out of the box.
Fly aera. Anywhere.
In aviation mode, the aera 500's detailed chart-style shaded mapping and extensive terrain and aviation databases help you visualize your flight path in relation to nearby navaids, terrain, SUAs, obstructions, and so on. Plus, the addition of private airports and heliports to the database affords even more navigation and emergency "nearest" options.
A database-driven terrain advisory feature offers TAWS-like color coding and pop-up alerts when possible obstructions or ground proximity conflicts loom ahead. And with terrain/obstacle data shown at standard 30 arc-second resolution, you'll enjoy a surprising level of detail on the display. The unit's graphical Terrain page offers both overhead and vertical profile views of the topography you're flying over. What's more, there's an IFR map mode that lets you display and navigate on high or low enroute airways. You can also pull up MEAs (Minimum Enroute Altitudes) and distances between intersections by touching the airway on the map.
As in all the aera models, GPS updating is provided at a super-fast 5 Hz rate. And for added safety, an optional power/data cable (sold separately) makes it easy to interface your aera 500 with the Garmin GTX 330 Mode S transponder in your aircraft, so you can access and display TIS traffic alerts in busy terminal airspace. What's more, you can also use the aera to load communications frequencies into your Garmin SL 40 Comm or SL 30 Nav/Comm transceiver.
Built to Fly. Born to Run.
Once your aircraft returns to terra firma, the fun of aera navigation continues with full automotive GPS capability and preloaded City Navigator NT street mapping. Operating much like Garmin's popular nuvi line of touchscreen auto navigators, your aera 500 offers voice-guided turn-by-turn directions with text-to-speech audio technology that calls out streets by name. In addition, there's built-in Bluetooth support for wireless hands-free calling with your compatible mobile phone. And the aera's built-in "points of interest" database offers helpful guidance to millions of motels, restaurants, gas stations, ATMs, and other local attractions. To further speed your transition from aircraft to automotive mode, a unique "smart mount" for the aera offers instant clip-and-go car navigation.
Garmin aera series: It's the ultimate fly/drive option.
Warranty and Return information: Please note that Garmin does not allow returns of this item for any reason other than manufacturer defect. As such, we cannot accept any returns on this product. Repairs and replacement requests must be handled directly by Garmin.
Features and Tips
|Here is a listing we have put together of some of the common |
Aera 500 features,
along with a few user tips that you may find of help for this particular item.
Physical & Performance:
- Unit dimensions, WxHxD: 5.3"W x 3.3"H x .9"D (13.5 x 8.4 x 2.3 cm)
- Display size, WxH: 3.81"W x 2.25"H (9.7 x 5.7 cm); 4.3" diag (10.9 cm)
- Display resolution, WxH: 480 x 272 pixels
- Display type: touchscreen WQVGA color TFT with white backlight
- Weight: 9.5 ounces (270 g)
- Battery: removable, rechargeable lithium-ion
- Battery life: up to 5 hours (less with full backlight and options)
- Waterproof: yes (IPX7)
- Voltage range: 11-35
- Receiver: high-sensitivity with WAAS position accuracy
- IFR or VFR: VFR
Maps, Databases & Memory:
- Basemap: yes
- Navigation database (includes Jeppesen data): yes
- Types of Jeppesen data: full and ARTCC, FSS frequencies and final approach waypoints
- Navigation database coverage areas: Americas
- Preloaded Terrain database: yes
- Preloaded Obstacles database: yes (U.S. and Europe only)
- Preloaded SafeTaxi™ airport diagrams: not available
- Preloaded AOPA Airport Directory: not available
- Preloaded Garmin FliteCharts®: no
- Preloaded low & high altitude enroute airways: yes
- Preloaded private airports: yes (U.S. only)
- Preloaded street maps: yes
- Ability to add maps: yes
- Accepts data cards: yes (microSD™ cards)
- Built-in memory: internal solid state
- Waypoints/favorites/locations: 3,000 (aviation mode); 1,000 (automotive mode)
- Routes: 50
- Moving map: yes
- Patented panel page: yes
- HSI (GPS-based): yes
- IFR map mode: yes
- Traffic Information Services (TIS) alerts compatible: yes
- Audible terrain alerts: yes
- Terrain resolution: standard
- Smart Airspace Feature (generates and displays altitude-sensitive alerts): yes
- Automatic logbook: yes
- Separate serial and USB interfaces: yes
- Voice prompts (e.g. "Turn right in 500 ft."): yes (auto mode)
- Speaks street names (e.g. "Turn right ON ELM STREET in 500 ft."): yes (auto mode)
- Lane assist (guides you to the proper lane for navigation): no
- 3-D map view: yes (auto mode)
- Bluetooth® wireless technology (connect to your phone for hands-free calling): yes (auto mode)
- Speed limit indicator (displays speed limit for most major roads in the U.S. and Europe): no
- FM traffic compatible: no
- Custom POIs (ability to add additional points of interest): yes (auto mode)
- XM WX Weather & Radio for U.S. & Canada compatible: no
There are no specifications currently available for this item.
|(View more comments.)|
|If someone is thinking about purchasing GPS equipment there is no other place to do business but GPS City. You are customer service the way it should be.......Customer focused. And this level of service has been the mainstay of GPS City for over 10 years which has been my experiences|
Don, May 24/13
|tons of products, great prices...and videos! Thanks|
Timothy K. FL, May 22/13
|You Guys Rock! Got what I wanted, great video's, and free shipping!|
Willard W. LA, May 21/13
|Wow, the manufacturers could learn a few things from GPS City! Thoroughly enjoyed the extensive video tutorials and comparisons. I really hope I am as happy with this product as I am with the buying experience at GPS City!|
Wayne S. TN, May 19/13
|Simple, efficient and fast. Sales customer service responds to questions quickly. Thank You|
Muhammad fazli R. SINGAPO, May 14/13
|Easy site to search,setup acct and order|
Ken D. NY, May 13/13