Share your images and get a
free gpscity.com t-shirt!
|Not yet rated. Email:
See more Garmin items.
This item is not currently available. Please check back to see if it becomes available.
Accessories may still be available for this item. Click to view accessories.
|We have 1 video for this item. We handcraft videos daily to help you learn more about the functionality of the items we sell. View a list of the GPS City videos. Visit our Youtube channel. Suggest a video via our feedback form.|
Questions and Answers (Q&As)
|Got a question about the |
Garmin Aera 550? Click this link to enter your question. No login required. Our tech staff moderates this Q&A and will typically respond within 24 hours (72 hours if a weekend). Visitors are also welcome to chime in at your convenience.
|View the compete list of 1 questions and 1 answers for the Garmin Aera 550 in our Q&As.
Or visit our Q&A Home Page.|
|Here are a few of the most recent questions asked by users and customers of the Garmin Aera 550.|
||Aera 550 Americas edition unit works in Canada?
||3.1 years ago
Here are the top accessories for this item. View the complete accessory list for this item.
Garmin GA25 Suction Cup Mount
Garmin Battery Pack and Charger
Garmin Nuvi 5xx and Zumo 220 66x Lithium-Ion Battery
What's Included In The Box?
|The Garmin Aera 550 ships with the following items included:|
||January 5, 2010
||February 17, 2010
Gallery of Customer Images
|Customer submitted images of the Garmin Aera 550 in action. You can also view our entire gallery or add your own gallery item. Special limited time offer - get a free t-shirt with every approved submission with pictures.|
There are currently no gallery items for the Garmin Aera 550.
|View all reviews. Or click here to Add Your Own Review. It's quick and easy. No login required.|
There are currently no reviews for the Garmin Aera 550.
Garmin Aera 550
| || || || || |
Garmin Aera 550
| || || || || |
Leveraging Garmin's industry-leading expertise in both Aviation and Automotive GPS, the versatile aera series of touchscreen portables takes fingertip navigation to a whole new level. Featuring crisp 4.3-inch QVGA wide-format displays, all four aera models come with preloaded automotive maps, a built-in terrain/obstacles aviation database, patented Panel Page instrument display, and more. So, wherever you fly or drive, you can count on aera to provide the complete door-to-door guidance package.
The aera 550: A Premium Choice
Stepping up from the aera 500 model, the aera 550 brings added features, performance, and more advanced pilot/motorist capabilities to the overall product design. Terrain/obstacles graphics are shown in higher-resolution 9 arc-second detail on the aera 550 display (providing over 11 times more onscreen resolution than the standard 30 arc-second versions). And, as in all the aera models, GPS updating is provided at a super-fast 5 Hz rate. In addition to detailed flight mapping, the aera 550 comes fully preloaded with Garmin SafeTaxi charts for over 950 U.S. airports - while an included AOPA Airport Directory database gives you detailed listings, phone numbers, facilities and fuel location information on over 7,400 U.S. landing sites, as well as airports of entry for Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. A full year of prepaid database updates is included with your aera 550 purchase.
Elevate Your Expectations
To enhance situational awareness, the aera 550's graphical Terrain page offers both overhead and vertical profile views of the topography you're overflying. Plus, a database-driven terrain advisory feature offers TAWS-like color coding and pop-up alerts when obstructions or ground proximity conflicts are projected to impact your flight path. There's an IFR map mode that lets you navigate on high or low enroute airways. And for help with traffic separation, an optional power/data cable (sold separately) makes it easy to interface your aera 550 with the Garmin GTX 330 Mode S transponder in your aircraft, thus enabling you to access and display TIS traffic alerts in busy terminal airspace throughout the U.S. Moreover, you can also use the aera to load communication frequencies into your Garmin SL 40 Comm or SL 30 Nav/Comm transceiver.
Attention Road Warriors
When it's time to hangar the airplane and head for the open road, your Garmin aera 550 never misses a beat. Its "dual boot" design enables full automotive GPS capability, graphically supported by preloaded City Navigator NT street mapping. Operating much like Garmin's popular nuvi line of touchscreen auto navigators, the aera 550 offers voice-guided turn-by-turn directions with text-to-speech audio technology that calls out streets by name. In addition, there's built-in Bluetooth support for wireless hands-free calling with your compatible mobile phone. Other premium features available on the aera 550 include lane assist with junction view, speed limit notification, Navteq traffic alerts, and more. Plus, there's a unique "smart mount" for the aera that helps get you on your way with instant clip-and-go transition from aircraft to automotive mode.
Garmin aera series: It's the ultimate fly/drive option.
Warranty and Return information: Please note that Garmin does not allow returns of this item for any reason other than manufacturer defect. As such, we cannot accept any returns on this product. Repairs and replacement requests must be handled directly by Garmin.
Features and Tips
|Here is a listing we have put together of some of the common |
Aera 550 features,
along with a few user tips that you may find of help for this particular item.
Physical & Performance:
- Unit dimensions, WxHxD: 5.3"W x 3.3"H x .9"D (13.5 x 8.4 x 2.3 cm)
- Display size, WxH: 3.81"W x 2.25"H (9.7 x 5.7 cm); 4.3" diag (10.9 cm)
- Display resolution, WxH: 480 x 272 pixels
- Display type: touchscreen WQVGA color TFT with white backlight
- Weight: 9.5 ounces (270 g)
- Battery: removable, rechargeable lithium-ion
- Battery life: up to 5 hours (less with full backlight and options)
- Waterproof: yes (IPX7)
- Voltage range: 11-35
- Receiver: high-sensitivity with WAAS position accuracy
- IFR or VFR: VFR
Maps, Databases & Memory:
- Basemap: yes
- Navigation database (includes Jeppesen data): yes
- Types of Jeppesen data: full and ARTCC, FSS frequencies and final approach waypoints
- Navigation database coverage areas: Americas
- Preloaded Terrain database: yes
- Preloaded Obstacles database: yes (U.S. and Europe only)
- Preloaded SafeTaxi™ airport diagrams: yes (U.S. only)
- Preloaded AOPA Airport Directory: yes (U.S. only)
- Preloaded Garmin FliteCharts®: no
- Preloaded low & high altitude enroute airways: yes
- Preloaded private airports: yes (U.S. only)
- Preloaded street maps: yes
- Ability to add maps: yes
- Accepts data cards: yes (microSD™ cards)
- Built-in memory: internal solid state
- Waypoints/favorites/locations: 3,000 (aviation mode); 1,000 (automotive mode)
- Routes: 50
- Moving map: yes
- Patented panel page: yes
- HSI (GPS-based): yes
- IFR map mode: yes
- Traffic Information Services (TIS) alerts compatible: yes
- Audible terrain alerts: yes
- Terrain resolution: high
- Smart Airspace Feature (generates and displays altitude-sensitive alerts): yes
- Automatic logbook: yes
- Separate serial and USB interfaces: yes
- Voice prompts (e.g. "Turn right in 500 ft."): yes (auto mode)
- Speaks street names (e.g. "Turn right ON ELM STREET in 500 ft."): yes (auto mode)
- Lane assist (guides you to the proper lane for navigation): yes (auto mode)
- 3-D map view: yes (auto mode)
- Bluetooth® wireless technology (connect to your phone for hands-free calling): yes (auto mode)
- Speed limit indicator (displays speed limit for most major roads in the U.S. and Europe): yes (auto mode)
- FM traffic compatible: yes (auto mode)
- Custom POIs (ability to add additional points of interest): yes (auto mode)
- XM WX Weather & Radio for U.S. & Canada compatible: no
There are no specifications currently available for this item.
|(View more comments.)|
|Always wonderful service! Simply the best|
Chuck S., May 23/13
|please, keep your sight just the way it is...no need for improvement. i had the easiest experience shopping on your sight, and your prices are the lowest i have seen, this is what keeps shoppers coming back, and your inventory is tops too|
jim m. WI, May 21/13
|Wow, the manufacturers could learn a few things from GPS City! Thoroughly enjoyed the extensive video tutorials and comparisons. I really hope I am as happy with this product as I am with the buying experience at GPS City!|
Wayne S. TN, May 19/13
|Great website. Easy to find & compare products, great prices, fast shipping. Thanks!|
Robb O. OH, May 16/13
|Easy site to search,setup acct and order|
Ken D. NY, May 13/13
|Very easy shopping process. I was able to update my details easily|
Eric C. CT, May 12/13